Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, May 2, 2011

Linux Fest

This past weekend was Linux Fest Northwest , held every year on the last weekend of April at Bellingham Technical College. Josh has attended a couple times before and the boys even went one year when I was off at a Women's Retreat, but this was a first for me. I have to admit I felt a little out of place. Not necessarily because I'm not a big computer guru, but more because I'm pretty sure I was the only mom w/ four kids in attendance.

Getting candy using a robot
The festival is advertised as a family event and all the stations are set up with candy and other treats for the kiddos while the vendors/parents talk computers, but I could tell a lot of the other attendees were very upset with us being there. Too bad for them though we had fun and will probably be going again next year. 

 
Lesson in building a robot


One of the organizer's took a couple of pictures of Joshua and Zaccheaus using the laptops  at the Fedora booth and said "this is what it's [the festival] all about, teaching the kids". That was an encouragement to me as I was getting frustrated with everyone looking at my family like we were some freak show.


Daddy took over to make it work
The boys' favorite part was the robotics room (pictured above) where you could build your own robot using legos, use a robot arm to grab some candy and see various demonstrations of different robots. I think we might have some future engineers in the works, here!
The kids and I ended up coming back home so Josh could take some of the classes offered. We were going to hang out and just play outside but the rain was horrible Saturday morning. Come on Washington we are ready for Spring!

No comments: